19 July 2010

Hong Kong - Macau Diaries: Food Republic

07.07.2010

Whenever I travel, I make sure to steer clear from all the Mc Donaldses and KFCs of the world. However, if you have a twelve year old in tow, whose knowledge of eating out is limited to fried chickens, this is quite a problem. While we were strolling inside the Citygate Outlet Mall in Tung Chung we came across a Mc Donalds and I was pretty adamant that I do not want to have burgers again. So we ended up at the mall's food court called Food Republic.



Food Republic is a brainchild of the BreadTalk group with the idea of combining "the best of hawker and restaurant fare under a single platform." It was first introduced in China by a Singaporean group in 1999 and then in Singapore in 2005. Now that I think about it, I actually remember the one inside Vivo City when I was there 2 years ago. Now they already have branches in Malaysia and five in Hong Kong.



Food Republic's stalls are divided according to the cuisine or the type of food they offer. I saw Thai, Singaporean, Korean as well as noodles, dimsum and steak. We decided to try out the Taiwan Cuisine.





I am a sucker for combo meals for the simple reason that they make life easier for me. It is doubly helpful especially in a place where english is like the fifth language. All you have to do is point and point in their menu and they'll get what you want in a snap. Talking to them just elevates my stress level so I'd rather communicate using my index finger. We got the following:

Pan-fried Vegetarian Bean Roll with Minced Pork Noodle (30 HKD)

Stir Fried Chicken with Eggplant Pork Rice (38 HKD)

Assorted Platter with Eggplant Minced Pork Rice (38 HKD)

Oyster Egg Omelette with Minced Pork Rice (30 HKD)

Fried Tofu and Dumplings (10 HKD each)


I must say that for a country with no rice fields, Hong Kong is big on rice. Servings are actually good for two already (if you are not really a rice eater like me), it was too late before we noticed that we should have probably just split the meal sets in half. Plus plus on the servings, boo on the MSG content. I noticed that  Chinese food are really loaded with vetsin, they are probably the biggest consumers of Ajinomoto. My mom, dad and I all felt a little dizzy after eating. 

I cannot really give out chopsticks to judge this place as a whole because I haven't sampled all the other cuisines, but for the Taiwan one I'm handing the verdict.

Verdict: 3 chopsticks - just because I'm no big fan of MSG.




*****
Hong Kong - Macau Series

1 comment:

  1. Good i will try tomorrow thx for the article! Khadiz

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget