09 August 2010

Let's Bring Out the Katol Shall We?

Friday midnight I received a very alarming text message from my friend Jomar:
“Mga kaibigan may dengue level 2 si Angela. Confined siya dito sa FEU since Wednesday. Nakadalawang platelet transfusion na siya, at baka kailangan pa ng pangatlo. Medyo fluctuating ang platelet count niya between 14 and 31 (yup sobrang baba pa dahil ang normal ay 150 to 300) Conscious naman siya pero hindi pa stable. She needs blood donors, kahit anong type para replace lang ng mga nagamit nya sa blood bank for transfusion. Open siya for visiting sa FEU, room 418. Ang blood donation ay open from 9 AM to 9 PM. Please pray for her, text niyo na tin kung pwede. Salamat sa lahat.”

I was on comatose mode that time but my senses were all up all of a sudden upon reading this message. I was very scared that I was bawling like a child. Angela is my best friend and without thinking I told Jomar that I would donate blood the following day. I also called Bob if he could also because she has a long way to go before reaching 150.

Yesterday Bob and I went to visit Banj at the hospital and got screened immediately. After a long wait, I got rejected because I just had dental surgery 3 months ago. Bob got in thankfully.

Some don’ts when donating blood:
- No surgeries for the past 12 months
- No piercings or tattoos for the past 12 months
- Last menstruation should be 2 weeks prior to donation
- Is not under medication
- Did not drink alcohol for the past 12 hours

The list could go on but I was not able to remember all. Anyway, the surge of friends willing to give their blood for her was just overwhelming. As of writing her current platelet count is at 51. 100 more to go.
Angela thought that what she was experiencing was just normal flu. Here are some facts about Dengue Fever:

KEY FACTS

  • Dengue is a mosquito-borne infection that causes a severe flu-like illness, and sometimes a potentially lethal complication called dengue haemorrhagic fever.
  • Global incidence of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades.
  • About two fifths of the world's population are now at risk.
  • Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical climates worldwide, mostly in urban and semi-urban areas.
  • Dengue haemorrhagic fever is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian countries.
  • There is no specific treatment for dengue, but appropriate medical care frequently saves the lives of patients with the more serious dengue haemorrhagic fever.
  • The only way to prevent dengue virus transmission is to combat the disease-carrying mosquitoes.

From: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/

For those who know her (or even if you don’t), please include her in your prayers. I need the best coffee bud in the world back.


And oh Banj...clean up the condo when you recover. I have a pretty good guess where the mosquito that bit you came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget